Within our lessons we have discussed what is funny to different people. To me this performance was amusing, but more visually interesting and entertaining. Another Dot Comedy performance is called ‘The car boot sale’. On first appearance it really is your typical, authentic car boot sale, but look closer. The objects they are selling are rather odd, or the prices don’t make sense, or the description of the object is extraordinary. Don’t forget to look at the characters, a pregnant woman openly smoking a cigarette, as well as someone dressed in eighties attire and a loud man with an army helmet on.
I didn't find this very funny at all. I believe that everyone finds different things funny, which is why they call it a 'sense of humour' Each person senses that different things are funnier than others. A company I did rather enjoy was ‘Desperate men’. I love the themes and ideas behind many of their performance, which seem highly creative and entertaining. ‘The pig pen riots’ is a show that is audience participatory. In fact, it is the audience who become the show itself. This is a great idea, and encloses a personal protest for whomever wishes to be involved.
“So I came up with the idea of the Pigpen Riots – a kind of rioting for the Coalition generation, where we approached people on the street and asked them what was bothering them. They’d write it on a board, then we’d give them a riot helmet, air horn and whistle, tape their mouth up and put them in a pen where they’d riot for five minutes before we hosed them down with a water cannon. There was a range of stuff, from ‘legalize cannabis’ to ‘no more bedtimes’. We’d made polystyrene bricks for them to lob out. We’re never going to get booked for shopping centres, let’s face it!” (Desperate men, www.venue.co.uk, 2010).
